The Buttermarket

  • PRO-R&C-BTM-01
  • PRO-R&C-BTM-02
  • PRO-R&C-BTM-03
  • PRO-R&C-BTM-04
  • PRO-R&C-BTM-05
  • PRO-R&C-BTM-06
  • PRO-R&C-BTM-07
  • PRO-R&C-BTM-08

The Buttermarket was built in 1835. Standing at the terminus of the Shropshire Union Canal, it catered for the flow of fresh market produce brought into Shrewsbury by canal boat. The canal would have travelled from this point to Jackfield, Ironbridge. The railway came into Shrewsbury in the 1850s and they took over the ownership of The Buttermarket. It was used then as a warehouse and over the years slowly fell into disrepair.

Andrew Arrol was a founding trustee of the Howard Street Conservation Trust, which saved the building from demolition; leased it from British Rail and repaired it for community use. The practice subsequently converted it into a night club and studio / theatre complex.